jeudi 2 janvier 2014

To 2014 and its unexpected life turns!


Do you never feel like the first days of the year are full of promises? I love this time of year when the pace of life slows down, the parties are over, and I have some precious time in my hands to think about what I want for the future. This is this time of year where I pick up my list of goals from 2013 and check if I’ve accomplished any of them. 

It is amazing to read this list as it reminds me of who I was 12 months ago and I already feel so different. The list is quite long and full of ideas I must have had at the time. I’m proud to say I managed a few goals with brio: I’ve discovered Scotland a bit more, I’ve managed to survive long-distance relationship without asking myself too many questions, I’ve seen a beautiful musical, I’ve made time and space for my best friends, I’ve tried to work on my moods.

Some resolutions are in the process of being successful: For a month now, I’ve gone running once a week; I haven’t discovered my favourite author but I’ve discovered one that I want to know more.

Some I've not even tried yet: write a short-story or be able to read an article in German, read a geography book or watch a documentary at least once a month. But they're not impossible!

My goals for 2014 could be summed up like this:

#1 : Take the time

If works doesn’t leave me much time to even have a proper coffee-break, it doesn’t mean that my week-end coffee also needs to be rushed. I need to learn to change speed as soon as I’m out of the office. I want to take my time now and enjoy the small things in life at a normal pace. I want to make time to read, paint, write, make scrap-books, comment the blog-posts I like, cook, go to a museum, take a walk in the countryside, join a  book-club, blog. It could all feel like a race or it could just feel like a stroll in the park. I want to focus more on my day and worry less about my future.




#2 : Give more

I feel more and more the impact my friends and family have on my life. They make it beautiful, they help me through the tough times and make me forget the burden of some sad days. They keep me motivated, they give me great ideas, they show me a different sight on situations. They are milestones, they are pillars. I couldn’t thank them enough for being there. I’ve realized that this past year. I always wanted to prove I was an independent woman who doesn’t need anyone but it’s not true. I’ve never felt more loved than when I stopped fearing I was owing to people for their kindness. I’ve learnt to receive without feeling guilty of not giving back. This is the power of vulnerability. And I want my family and friends to feel like that with me too. I want to give my time to my people without expecting in return. Helping them find a job, clean their house, offer a coffee when one needs a chat, invite them at home when one feels lonely, listen to them when they need to talk, give them a window on the world when they need inspiration and motivation.



If I can manage that by the end of this year, I’ll have achieved a great deal!

On a more realistic note, Dave and I are planning to travel to Texas next autumn!!!! We have plenty of ideas about what we want to do when we’re here! This is so exciting! Our tickets are now booked and we are saving money for everything we want to see and explore. Any recommendations greatly appreciated of course!

I just can't wait to see what 2014 will be about. Life never stops surprising me and I'm sure so many unexpected events will happen. This is the beauty of it!

What about you? What are your dreams and goals for 2014?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire