mardi 3 décembre 2013

Glasgow

Last Sunday, Dave and I were supposed to spend the day in Glasgow just like we used to when he was still living there. We were planning to find our Christmas gifts for each other and get to enjoy the city together, like visiting an old friend.

But destiny decided otherwise, Dave got called for work and I went to Glasgow on my own. It was a lovely day and I could spend as much time as I wanted in the craft shops, I thought. 30 minutes later, I was on the train, full of this special energy I get when I'm on my way somewhere exciting but I still have time to myself before this actually happens. There is nothing like a good train journey to stimulate your creativity, I'm convinced of that!



On arrival, I immediately took the subway to the West End of the city, Byres Road, my favourite place to wander.
Here is  a list of the places I've been and why I love them so much:

- First stop: Vintage Guru! For their amazing collection of handbags and purses. The ladies there are always smily and ready to help you. Take a look at the fur coats too! And do not forget to sneak into the men's corner.

- Oliver Bonas and its amazing home decor. I always want to buy everything in that shop, it's as simple as that! The candles smell gorgeous, the hats are like nowhere else and they have a cute collection of greeting cards.

- Papyrus, this little shop is one of those funky and pretty places where you can find lovely crafty supplies, sarcastic mugs and funny books about the Scottish culture. I love their sense of humour and the fact that it is so eclectic!

- All the charity shops, especially the British Red Cross one that looks like a proper shop with clothes displayed by order of colours. I am always surprised by the unexpected beauties you can find in these shops.

- I also got to the Hillhead Book Club where the Granny Would Be Proud fair was on. I just love this little book-club bar, with its mezzanine and the creative stalls. I found a £3 skirt and I just love it! It is also a perfect place to have a drink or a bite with friends.



I then stopped in Crepes A Croissant for my usual favourite: the Lemon Lover! I waited to be served while checking the fabulous Le Monde Est A Nous website, then devoured my crepe with the French appetite I'm known for!


I then decided to walk until Kelvinbridge, the road we were walking 10 times a day with Dave as he used to live in this neighbourhood. The occasion to walk past 2 of my favourite vintage shops:

- Retro Clothes on Otago Street, who look a bit upper hand but have a tone of lovely jewels and hats for very reasonable prices.

- The Glasgow Vintage Co. with its £10 chashmere jumpers available in every colours! Dave also loves the basement dedicated to male vintage clothing, which I must say is also a delight for my female eye. The jumpers are really fun, and this is where I found one of my most handy purses.


This was trully a beautiful afternoon in Glasgow, even on my own, and I highly recommend a stroll in the West End when in need of a little inspiration.

The best to me is the spring time, when you can pick up something to eat at Waitrose, and a lot of magazines at the shop, then find a spot at the Botanics and spend the whole afternoon there.

What about you? Do you know Glasgow? What are you favourite places to go in the city? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

xx


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire